Saturday, January 23, 2021

Seeming to Arrivie


In that indiscriminate hour

Not dawn, nor midnight, 
When voices close & far quiet
And there is sleep across
A hemisphere where 
My mind searches for
Salvation as I struggle toward the vast,
I woke to light, and
Gunnar barking
And then he slept again

What if such small ordinary
Instances
Are just the 
Wake! 
Wake, You! 
Wake and Listen calls, the shift
Of tone, as my deep chimes on the 
Old side porch, oldness of the wood
Behind them, the soft reverb 
Of alto peale from changing 
Wind, not harbinger of anything, or
Small startle of headlights when
She drops off the newspaper as she’s done
For decades, this time 
Delivered to the mailbox 
A bit early, 
A bit late
Nothing to mind about, no need to fret,
Mundane rhythms 
Reminding me to sometimes 
In the deep of neither night nor day
Just be awake. 

I don’t know what happens tomorrow
Or in one month
One year, one allotted lifetime
To think I do is folly to the 
Larger pulse
That light, though, 
Could have maybe also been 
Just one of the young guys
In the next section, 
Lost, a little drunk, 
Turning around, wanting 
To go home. 

I think I shall cleave to these 
Simple explanations: 
The earth spins on her axis,
This too shall pass, 
Upheaval, and 
I like to imagine that
The learning got from loneliness 
And the shortening of time and memory
Tips us toward assembling
Another kind of light. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment