Friday, January 29, 2021

Portland Air


I was going to Portugal 
Walking on a forest path past a small 
Whitewashed stone house 
Somewhere in Switzerland 
Fragrant pine needles under my feet
I recalled traversing that narrow byway
One time before, and it was pleasurable 
A safe connector

First, tho, I had
To find the plane, and 
No one selling candy and Dramamine 
Behind the counters in the crosshairs
Of the airport
Quite knew where it was 
When I was asking
Where to find that plane.

But I saw a wide opening, an 
Airport arch into a long ramp, 
Bright sky awaiting, 
Beckoned, I walked toward 
Light beyond a marshy shore; 
There, rough seas suddenly calmed to glass, 
Lapping waters, a small raft waiting
Someone held my hand and 
I tiptoed thru the shallows 
And found an open seat
I mean, a place for me to sit, as we 
Paddled to the plane on a tarmac 
On a reef altho 
I do not know for sure

One thing though, I remembered to bring
A large sheaf, of art and drawings, 
Papers, blank spaces, to be filled with 
Whatever might be coming 
At first I thought they might be mine
But I gave them to a boy beside me
He too seemed to be a voyager
In search of larger understandings

The waters were grey then, as we 
Slipped moorings
And I woke up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment