Saturday, March 23, 2019

Soon Spring

It took me a long time to get 
Back here, back home
It helps that the sky is bright from
This moon

One way or the other,
As I sat here tonight
Recentering into what I can’t quite say,
I saw what I’d been doing, 
Casting away, reimagining and
Figuring out this new way forward
Whatever it is, and
A little tweak of light sparked
From the back, beyond the main barn

Night vision kicked in
As hints of color
Emerged in the bright black
Lit night sky, 
Spring coming on, and as I 
Thought about this place
My sweet old girl
Ticked through the air
She has started coming 
Around now and then
And I paused to think about her,
Perhaps I scratched her ears, and 
Raising my eyes to the
Skies through the back window
There they all were, flying big
As life in their green gold years
Beautiful in that light, our fat sheep, 
Our goats, their black tipped ears,
Dogs leaping into the pond
Racing to catch a thrown stick
Flying into the field from the open doors
Of the barn’s threshing floor,
Trotting the property line in goodbye

I am wrapped in miasma, 
The animate residue 
Of this old farm, from which
I lift and I let go,
Carrying who and what
I won’t relinquish into the
What will be will be 

It was the most extraordinary moment 
Of souls alive 
The ones that stayed
And others, flooding into 
My calming heart
Finding that its steady beat
Is theirs, with mine, 
Is ours.

March 21, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment