Saturday, March 30, 2019

Missing

Look how full the pond is, Jade,
You can stand at the end of the dock 
As you watch for fish, they’ll be close to
The gleaming still surface with the
Sun soon bathing the greening land, 
Dragonflies flitting and new scents 
Catching your nose, 
Just now I saw our big blue heron
Lift off from the banks as Colby 
Trotted slowly around the other side
He’s an old dog now
I imagine he was looking for you, 
Maybe felt you, heard you calling,
As did I, but he’s all right. 
I stand outside for a moment, 
Wind in my hair,
Recalling how you
Always settled that one early spring day,
When season’s changing finally bursts
Relentless winter’s stops and starts, all
Giving in to spring, 
Wading in the shallows of the pond, then 
Your belly on the warming ground, 
You summoned the essential wonder 
Your brindled coat with liver ticking 
Glossy, smooth as 
Satin and your amber eyes 
Seeing all, and looking back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment