Sunday, September 2, 2018

Melt

You hit some decades,
Begin to settle into your who, 
Then a few more years come
Along, and contrary to all
Sorts of conventional wisdom,
That says anyone can change 
That all things must change, 
That you believed, 
That you believe, 
That isn’t quite the case. 

I sit melting in a limbo,
Old dog dying limbo,
Garden bursting as it’s dying limbo,
Unbearable dew point limbo,
Fatigue in bone and sinew limbo,
In struggle limbo,
Shall I go here,
Shall I go there,
Shall I do anything,
Shall I take on the small tasks
That hallmark a day where 
I accomplish something?

Maybe this paralyzing feeling
That not everything must change
Is just my way of finding
A necessary hiatus
A time to gather bewilderment
Rue, confusions, regrets, 
Aches, desires,
Aspirations, the swelter of
Feelings and currents 
While I put the questions to which
There are no answers into
A chapter for inevitable review. 

Pause. 
In the deepened twilight 
Outside,
In a house unlit against the night, 
The familiar nighttime settles, 
And pulsing softly through
The windows, doors opened 
Everywhere to
The gift of any breeze,
Arrives the cooling scent of rain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment