Friday, March 2, 2018

March

Finally the snow comes,
Ghosting into a middle of the night sky
We thought it would come 
At seven, eight
The predictors of the weather told us,
But rain, 
And rain,
Sleet, then some tiny releases from 
The birthing clouds,
Because who are we to know
What will really happen?
And every early spring,
Late winter, I release into my fears,
The ones that 
Throttle me, and then I slay and 
Stymie them,
And I make myself remember:
Daffodils persist,
Crocus. 
Early others push through
Wintered sleep,
The ground gives way. 
Tonight I watch from a dark bedroom
Across the disappearing landscape
Spring snow, it deepens into grey 
And in the morning, I will see that 
Rhythm is more than any human ken,
The season knows.
I can’t spend time in these temporary days with 
My fretting about future,
Future past, that’s really what persists
With only now that knits it all together 
And maybe all I need to know is 
This spring snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment