Saturday, May 18, 2019

Being Here

Sitting tonight outside
On a tattered winter-struck patio
Not yet rescued by broom 
And potted things
I’ve mowed the long hardy grasses, weeds 
Twice now in this long
Recalcitrant spring
I’ve noticed many bluebirds
Fewer robins
And this afternoon spotted
My first little brown toad of the season
Hopping away from the 
Frightening sounds of my mower
And truly, watching, as I carefully turned 
Away from her hideout in
A clump of unruliness around
The smoke bush back by the barn. 

The sun is descending and small grey 
Scattered cumulo stratus nimbus fill the 
Western sky behind the firs that keep
The dust from from Bobby’s plowing from 
My windows, opened
Momentarily to admit spring cleansing before
I close them up
For an unseasonably chilly night

The dip in the back 
Opening amongst long, tall
Stands of spruce and fir,
My alleĆ© I call it there, though just an 
Unkempt magic land of burrows, 
Rotting stuff, rust chuff 
From ancient evergreens
Carpeting a path, well-known 
By generations of animals, and 
Through this window 
Bits of peach and gold from the
Disappearing day cast
A blaze 
Nonpareil 
An instant that 
Beckons belief
My hands are cold and
It’s time for dinner. 

May 18, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment