Tuesday, August 14, 2018

August 11 Aloft

For a reason I don’t quite understand
I threw old terrors to the sky, 
I read about all the sciences
I read about the fears and phobias
I read about once again
The places I do not wish to miss, and 
I decided to fly. 

For more than a decade, nearly two,
To fly meant someone dying, and in
An early memorable event, 
I melted down on
A flight that turned around to put me 
Back on terra firma. 

And then the long years,
Missing family, missing beloved friends, 
Missing, and all the while I was growing 
Into a newer woman, with some 
Fulsome years who does
Not believe that life, loving 
Should be lost to terrors, insecurities, or 
Unexpected vicissitudes, finally 
Clear-eyed about what I want to do
With my allotted time:
Welcome the uncertainties that 
Accompany the unknown, the glorious 
And vast.  

Outside the aircraft’s windows 
At 30,000 feet, the cumulus clouds
Are the architectures of gods and
Visionaries, and I begin to 
Become composed
The physical demons of unrealistic fears
Are quieter now, 
And time and again I remember what my 
Destination brother tells me:
Let what seeks you find you. 
I brought Wendell Berry’s Wheel, his 
Meditations on life and death of life
Reborning into new, in mystery,
I know mother earth survives, and 
I know that we do not, nor our progeny.
Along every way, terror, 
Threatening science,
Political despair, cruelty, 
Those things’ lives are limited, 
As are ours.
Up here, nothing from those days 
Is any different, except
My newly-birthed mandate to
Myself to live high, hard, true, brave

There is no static in the sky;
For awhile I viewed the Finger Lakes 
And Lake Ontario from on high; 
Soon I’ll be watching the Great Plains 
If I can even see them from so high aloft
Giving way to the Rockies, and I’m 
Promising myself I’m 
Going to move, and love, with what time I’ve left, purposeful, intentional, 

And stubbornly less afraid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment