Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Words for a Highway

I had a huge
Wave of homesick,
Had some waves of it
These two days,
And it canopied me all today,
Mowing, weeding, looking at
The perfect sky,
One day we won't be able to go,
We will be stuck in longing.
We won't be able to traverse the
Miles, feelings or
Attitudes, the rigor of putting
Wheels toward the beckon
Of the west, each mile
Signaling that it might
Be the last.
Mortality looms, and
It seems liberating.
Tonight I told them, my kids,
All the hell that's coming.
They sat quiet and
Looked up at these heavens
And I told them
As best I could, it
Starts from what feels
Like home,
We have to rebuild
This world.

4 comments:

  1. Our paths have crossed before on FB. You came to mind today. So glad that thought led me here. I like your work. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nan. I recall some FB interaction as well.

      Delete