Thursday, September 1, 2016

Reverie

Driving on the country road
I looked down and saw my
Teal blue pants and 
Atop, the turquoise of my tunic, 
A sudden shift and we were
Walking on the Mall
In another life,

Summer heat puffing up from pavement,
Slim navy teal blue skirt 
Floating about my legs, 
Turquoise shirt with pale russet 
Flowers, in retrospect peonies, 
I think,
Peonies, 
Short sleeves rolled up, cuffed, 
And collar slightly standing.
I wore sandals bought in Paris,
Fifteen years I wore them.

But none of this is necessary
Save to manifest when 
We were young, 
And improbable was possible, 
Color setting off the cascade
Of his arms, his energy and wit,
His red hair and his recklessness.

Driving on the country road 
Those days and months with him 
Collapsed into a second's pause 
On time's ever-shortening path:
There in the empty seat beside me,
In that tan plaid flannel shirt 
He loved to wear,
He sat, alive and present 
As anyone could be,
"Here beside you," he said to me,
And vanished into memory.

RIP David 1950-2007



No comments:

Post a Comment