Sunday, March 20, 2016

Yoghurt

Sitting in the sun
Eating vanilla yoghurt and blueberries
Creamy and elegant, liquid velvet,
Reading a letter from a friend. 

The yoghurt makes me think of
Cid's Market in Taos
Everything so fresh
And most home-grown.

Sit with this, I tell myself, 
And I pause 
Waiting for some 
Revelation to arrive.

He knows he's dying, 
She says in the letter,
And she says they are
Back to where they
Were in the 
Beginning

Along the Rio Grande and
The little streams and rivelets
Flowing from the mountains
Along the back dirt roads
To Arroyo Seco, I picture 
Banks and ditches 
Wearing yellow, spritzing
White and 
Purple things emerging
From the winter

We die the way we live,
I'll tell her, 
And,
You didn't choose this learning,
And then I remember our mother
Died this day, seventeen years
Gone now.

But every spring when I start to 
Work again in my garden, 
I find her there, and 
Think of her, 
And how there
Really isn't ever any end,

Just change, new shape,
A different physics in 
A universe where 
Stars realign
In season's heavens,
Full moons in processional
To the Equinox
And what is gone is 
Eternally reborn.

I know there are those who
Die and never give a peace 
To the ones
Who wait and dread
Because there 
Sometimes isn't one, 
They return to clay and dust 
But then arrive again, 
Because they
Will.

In my garden, my mother waits,
Sun dips behind high clouds
For a moment. 
There's no connection
To the yoghurt,
But I decide to tell my friend
All will be well
In time.

2 comments: